Chihuahua is a very tiny dog breed not weighing more than 3 kg. Their Feeding regimen is absolutely different from other medium and large breeds. With smaller teeth, jaws and body, Chihuahuas require feeding that suits their body and metabolism. If you are a Chihuahua owner, you’re in the right place to know the right food options available for Chihuahuas.
As a matter of fact, Being very tiny, Chihuahuas can’t eat a lot. However, they still require the right nutrition (protein, fats and carbs) just at the right proportions to keep at their best.
It is important to not overfeed chihuahuas to avoid abrupting their metabolism and blood sugar fluctuations. Overfeeding can cause health disorders such as
- Oral disease
- Skin & Coat disorders
- Food borne illnesses
Dog Food Recommendations for Chihuahua in India
- Royal Canin Chihuahua Puppy Food
- Farmina N&D Adult Mini Breed
- IAMS Proactive Dog Food for Small Breed
- Purina Pro Plan
- Hill’s Science Diet Healthy Development, Small Bites
Calorie recommendation for Chihuahuas
To go about everyday activities, Chihuahua needs just 150 to 200 calories per day. If you want to calculate the calorie requirement of your dog, simply put 30 calories per pound (454 g) weight of your dog.
- 0.5 kg. 67 calories per day
- 1 kg. 104 calories per day
- 1.5 kg. 144 calories per day
- 2 kg. 174 calories per day
- 3 kg. 200 calories per day
- Dogs below 3 months should be fed three to four times a day
- For dogs aged 3 to 6 months, thrice-a-day feeding is required
- Adult Chihuahuas need two times feeding per day.